With the warm weather, you might find yourself entertaining more often than you did during the cold and cozy weekends of winter. But before you start sending out barbecue invitations, make sure you take time to clean those areas of your home that are easy to overlook. You know what we mean—the nooks and crannies that seldom see the light of day.
When it comes to cleaning house, the adage “out of sight-out of mind” definitely applies. So spend a little time surveying your entire home. Check it out, top-to-bottom. And don’t forget 20 of the most often neglected spots in your home (presented in alphabetical order). Last week, we focused on the first 10 areas. This week, we’ll close out this series with the remaining frequently missed housecleaning areas, which should help you get your house in fine shape before summer. Last week, we covered these 10 areas: around appliances, baseboards, bottom edges of countertops, ceiling fan blades, ceilings and corners, closets, coffeemakers, cupboards, drawers, and frames. Here are the final 10 household tasks which are easy to forget:
11. Vents—whether or not you choose to have your air ducts cleaned, you should include vents in your regular household cleaning routine, since warm air circulates through them during the cold winter months…carrying dust and particulate matter and depositing it on radiator grates and vents. Also, don’t forget to routinely replace air filters which collect dirt and other airborne allergens.
12. Lamp Shades—unless partygoers are routinely using your lampshades to parade around your living room, shades catch dust which embeds itself on lampshade fabric if left undisturbed. So use a microfiber cloth to wipe the interior and exterior of every shade in your house.
13. Laundry Bags & Bins—since they store dirty clothes, laundry baskets require regular cleaning. For plastic containers, wash with a diluted bleach solution and rinse with warm water. Wipe or let air dry. For cloth bags, toss washable containers into the washer and hang dry so they retain their shape.
14. Shoe Racks—if you’re not convinced you should regularly clean shoe racks, consider how much dirt and debris you in on the soles of your shoes. So make sure to include them in your regular household chores.
15. Sliding Door Tracks—used for closets and patio doors, sliding door tracks collect dust, dirt, dead insects and leaves if you don’t vacuum them out on a regular basis. A Shop Vac works well for this task. If it’s been awhile since you last cleaned door tracks, you should use a wet towel to clean out large items and then wipe dry with a clean paper towel.
16. Stove Hood—Switch out the filter on your hood at least once every six months. And use a de-greaser to remove cooking oil which tends to collect in and around the knobs on stove hoods.
17. Under the Bed—your kids probably thought monsters hid under their beds. But even clean rooms can host large dust bunnies unless they are swept or vacuumed on a weekly basis. Make sure you get down on your hands and knees so you are able to see all of the spots dust and dirt gather.
18. Underneath Furniture—just like beds, furniture is a great place for dust and dirt to hide. Clean underneath furniture instead of around it.
19. Utensil Holders & Spice Racks—once a week, empty your utensil holder and remove all of the cooking tools so you can clean the bottom of the container, which tends to collect loose dirt and even small bits of food which could attract ants.
20. Window Sills—easily forgotten if they are covered by curtains, shades or drapes, window sills are dust collectors. So dust them on a regular basis. And if too much time has passed since you last gave sills the attention they deserve, use a damp sponge and wipe dry with paper towels.
If you would like some help cleaning your house on a routine basis or for deep cleaning; give My Cleaning Lady Referral Agency a call. The housekeepers we refer offer complete home cleaning services including thorough dusting at reasonable prices. My Cleaning Lady Referral Agency proudly serves Arcadia, Chino, Chino Hills, Duarte, Ontario, Pomona, LaVerne, Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana, Montclair, Claremont, Phillips Ranch, Upland, West Covina, Glendora, San Dimas, and Sierra Madre. Visit http://www.mycleaninglady.com/or call (909) 593-6690 for information or to arrange a free estimate.